Mia Noi – Naming

About a month after the paint job was complete, I finally got around to putting on Mia Noi’s lettering and making her new name complete. She now had a personality and home port! I purchased the name, numbers and lettering from US Boat. The sticky letters were easy to install.

Advertisements

Mast Up!

Originally I was going to hire a rigger to rig my mast – but in the end I decided to save a few dollars and do it myself. I’m really happy I did. Again, it was a great educational experience to learn, make a few mistakes and feel confident knowing every part of the boat. Ruben at Seamark Marine used a hoist to raise the mast which made the job a cinch.

New Bunks

With Mia Noi off the trailer for the first time, it gave me a chance to check out the condition of the wood bunks. I was horrified when I pulled back a small section of the carpet. The wooden bunks were rotten thru – I was lucky they had supported the weight of the boat this long. It turned out to be a quick and easy job to replace the bunks – the job took about 4-hours total.

New Hardware

With the paint job done, I started to re-sit all the hardware I removed prior to painting of ‘Mia Noi’ or planned to replace. It was an eye opening lesson on the cost of boat parts and forced me to go all over the Catalina – into the tight spots, everywhere with a fine tooth comb. I now have greater comfort in my knowledge of ‘Mia Noi’s’ bits, pieces and potential trouble spots.

Spray Job – The Body Paint

Finally Los Angeles’ unseasonably wet weather turned back to its traditional 85 degrees and sunshine – and the final deck coat was sprayed on. Ruben Flores and his Seamark Marine team prepped the boat and went to work painting ‘Mia Noi’.

Parking Spot

A major reason I purchased ‘Mia Noi’ is because of her trailerbility. In Marina Del Rey, Los Angeles County Department Of Beaches and Harbors has a mast up storage facility. I was able to get a spot in the mast up storage area, 50 meters from the boat ramp.

Trailer Upgrade

The original air-brake coupler on the trailer was very stiff and difficult to mount and remove from my Jeep’s hitch. So I decided to grind, cut off the air-brake coupler and replace it with a simple trigger latch coupler.

Mast Step Plate

As I was upgrading to ‘all lines aft’, I needed to install a mast step halyard plate. The mast step currently on the boat needed a bit of elbow grease to remove, it had been updated and installed by the previous owner about 12 months before I purchased the boat.

Wood Work 102

My living room looked and smelt like a wood workshop for several weeks while I undertook the lengthly process of sanding and varnishing the external teak and mahogany handrails and sliders. I had a companion way trim set custom made in Florida by Woodshop 102. Rex Rothing did a great job cutting the pieces and he was cheaper than purchasing the plastic version offered by Catalina Direct. I did however decided to replace the cockpit coaming compartment trim with the plastic trim from Catalina Direct.

Mast Rigging

I decided to replace all the Catalina’s rigging and install an ‘all lines aft’ systems. As I was installing a CDI Furler, I needed to purchase only 1/2 of the ‘all lines aft kit’ from Catalina Direct. The first project was to remove the stainless steel mainsail/jib halyard lines and replace the old sheaves at the mast head with new 1/4 inch line friendly sheaves.