Mia Noi – Naming

About a month after the paint job was complete, I finally got around to putting on Mia Noi’s lettering and making her new name complete. She now had a personality and home port! I purchased the name, numbers and lettering from US Boat. The sticky letters were easy to install.

New Bunks

With Mia Noi off the trailer for the first time, it gave me a chance to check out the condition of the wood bunks. I was horrified when I pulled back a small section of the carpet. The wooden bunks were rotten thru – I was lucky they had supported the weight of the boat this long. It turned out to be a quick and easy job to replace the bunks – the job took about 4-hours total.

A Sailor’s Best Friend

When I purchased ‘Mia Noi’ she came with an 8HP two-stroke outboard. She started – was a little smokey and would do the job. But, for safety reasons and personal reassurance I purchased an new four-stroke Nissan 8HP outboard. It’s a good fit for my Catalina and I wanted to make sure I had a best friend out on the water if the weather turned un-friendly! The transom was reinforced with a plastic plate to assist in accommodating the 90 pound outboard, I also purchased a new bracket for the engine.

Seamark Marine

The refurbishment of my Catalina 22 was completed by Seamark Marine at Marina Del Rey. Ruben Flores, Seamark Marine’s Owner/Operator is honest, generous with his time and advice – plus he did a great job painting and repairing my Catalina 22 ‘Mia Noi’. Ruben allowed me to do the small stuff, such a re-wiring the mast and removing the hardware from ‘Mia Noi’. I recommend Seamark Marine if you need work done on your sailboat or motorboat. The majority of boat repair yards in Marina Del Rey prefer to work on new boats. Ruben and his team are different, old or new – no job is too difficult and you’ll be happy with the results.

Wood Work 102

My living room looked and smelt like a wood workshop for several weeks while I undertook the lengthly process of sanding and varnishing the external teak and mahogany handrails and sliders. I had a companion way trim set custom made in Florida by Woodshop 102. Rex Rothing did a great job cutting the pieces and he was cheaper than purchasing the plastic version offered by Catalina Direct. I did however decided to replace the cockpit coaming compartment trim with the plastic trim from Catalina Direct.

Mast Rigging

I decided to replace all the Catalina’s rigging and install an ‘all lines aft’ systems. As I was installing a CDI Furler, I needed to purchase only 1/2 of the ‘all lines aft kit’ from Catalina Direct. The first project was to remove the stainless steel mainsail/jib halyard lines and replace the old sheaves at the mast head with new 1/4 inch line friendly sheaves.

Old Is New Again

I didn’t have plans to polish the fuel locker vents until I saw the results of Chip Ahoy’s refurbishment of his vents. It’s a decision I don’t regret (check out photos below). Verne’s Chrome Plating in Hawthorne, Los Angeles did a great job making the ‘old vents new again’!

Top Sides – RED!

A few days after the grey primer was applied, Ruben Flores at Seamark Marine spray painted the Top Sides – Red. ‘Mia Noi’ really started to take on her new look! She looks like a completely different boat.

‘Sparky’ – Mast Wiring

I upgraded the mast’s wiring so I could install a deck light. I used the old stainless steel mast rigging to feed the new four strand wire inside the mast. On the advice of Kevin from Catalina Direct, I put cable ties every foot along the new wire to prevent it banging around inside the mast. Wiring the Anchor light was straight forward as was installing the deck/steaming light and the new VHF antenna cable.

Spreader Brackets

This project took longer than I anticipated. Removing the old spreaders and drilling the new holes for the stainless steel brackets was easy enough. I followed the instructions from Catalina Direct and the great advice from Chip Ahoy on spreader bracket installation. When ever I have doubts or questions about my Catalina 22, I check out Chip Ahoy. My first issue was removing a bird’s nest that had grown in the base of the mast. I used a garden hose to feed the ‘spacer’ up the mast as suggested by Chip Ahoy. But after several attempts – the ‘spacer’ would get snagged half way in, I ended up removing the old internal steaming/anchor light wiring. After that it was free sailing and with the use of a thin screwdriver, I soon had the ‘spacer’ and new brackets bolted in place.